You Are An Identity Theft Victim, Now What?

Anyone can become a victim of identity theft. If you lost your purse or wallet and your social security number, drivers license, credit card numbers, check book or bank account numbers were in there you stand a good chance of becoming the next victim. You can minimize the damages to your credit and financial life if you act fast.

#1 – File A Police Report

You will need this to place a fraud alert and security freeze on your credit report

#2 – Order Your Credit Reports Immediately

Review every account on that report, making note of the fraudulent ones

#3 – Notify The Credit Reporting Agencies

Equifax, Experian and Trans Union are the 3 major credit reporting agencies. The best approach is to notify each one of them explaining that you have become a victim of identity theft.

#4 – Set Up A Fraud Alert

A fraud alert on your credit report is a “red flag” signaling to creditors that you have been a victim of identity theft. It is important that you ask the credit reporting agencies to set up fraud alerts on your credit reports.

#5 – Place A Security Freeze (if your state allows it)

identity theft

courtesy: vbcco

A security freeze on your credit report means that your permission is required before credit reporting agencies can release your credit report to anyone. The credit reporting agencies will only place a security freeze on your credit reports at your request.

#6 – Inform Your Creditors

Have your credit card companies close out your accounts, even those that seemed to have escaped being tampered with. Ask them to make a note in your file that you are a victim of identity theft.

#7 – Change All Passwords

It is imperative that you change the passwords on all of your financial accounts. Thieves can cause more damage if your passwords remain in force.

#8 – Close Out Your Checking And Bank Accounts

Why leave anything to chance. Even if the thieves haven’t hit these accounts yet, why leave the door wide open for them

#9 – Contact The Social Security Administration

You will need to replace your social security number

#10 – Contact Your Secretary Of State’s Office

You will need to notify them of your missing drivers license and get it replaced

If you become a victim of identity theft do not allow the thieves to beat you. You can reverse any damages to your identity by taking the right steps in a timely manner.