House insurance is sometimes referred to as fire insurance or homeowners insurance. In addition to covering claims for home fires, most house insurance policies also cover claims filed for wind, lightening, hail, smoke, explosion and vandalism. Check your personal policy.

Most fire insurance policies do not cover for flooding. Flooding is generally excluded from a fire insurance policy because floods can only be covered under a flood insurance policy purchased from the federal government. Check the government’s website for additional flood information.

Water backup is different from flooding though. If your policy carries the proper coverages water backup can be covered under your house insurance policy. Some insurance company’s will charge you an extra premium for water backup coverage, so check with your insurance agent.