Guild Mortgage is an independent mortgage lender that’s been in business for over 56 years and specializes in residential home loans. They take a customer-centric approach, have a track record of closing on time, and value community. Learn more about Guild Mortgage to find out if they’re right for you by reading our review below:
Guild Mortgage – Details and Overview
Guild Mortgage has earned several recognition, including 2015 – Most Admired Company from SD Metro and #6 mortgage lender in terms of overall volume by Scotsman Guide. Their reviews by the San Diego Union-Tribune consistently place them as a top workplace.
The mortgage company operates in 37 states across the U.S., including California, Michigan, Texas, Hawaii, Alaska, and New Hampshire. In some states, Guild Mortgage only services residential home mortgages. The mortgage company offers numerous types of loans that can accommodate different types of customers, such as military families, rural home buyers, and first-time buyers.
Guild Mortgage Loan Process Explained
When you apply for a loan, you will first be asked what type of loan you want and in which state the property is located. You can save your progress while filling out the online application and return later to complete it.
Some loans at Guild Mortgage offer discount points. You can reduce the interest rate on your loan by paying the discount points. Another benefit of points is they are tax deductible. Each discount point equates to 1% of the total loan amount. One discount point on a $100,000 loan would be $1,000. You could choose to pay $1,000 for a lower interest rate and deduct the amount when filing taxes.
If the company tries collecting payment from you and there isn’t enough money in your account, you may be charged a non-sufficient funds fee of $15. They also charge late fees on late payments. How much you have to pay for the late fee depends on your particular loan, which you will find out before signing. If you change the person who’s responsible for the loan, you’ll have to pay an assumption fee of $600-$1,350. Customers who make Speedpay payments are charged a $3.50. This includes automated payments, website payments, and representative-assisted payments.
Clients who face financial hardship that prevents them from paying on time may qualify for hardship assistance. The company defines financial hardship as a change in circumstances since the point you obtained the loan that has either put you at risk of falling behind on monthly payments or has already caused you to fall behind on payments.
When a client misses a payment, Guild Mortgage’s loan counseling staff contacts them to ask why the payment was missed. The mortgage company is required to report this information to the investor. They also ask in order to help you work out a solution to make the payments on time.
PROs and CONs of Guild Mortgage
- Because they are an independent mortgage lender, Guild Mortgage can offer faster, cheaper loans than large banks. According to 5 Arch Funding, independent mortgage companies now hold the largest share of the loan market.
- They tailor each loan to the individual. This ensures you receive a loan that is suitable for your life and circumstances. Guild Mortgage takes the time to understand each client’s needs, life goals, and circumstances.
- As stated on their “about us” page, Guild Mortgage cares about doing what’s right not only for clients but the community, their employees, and their partners. For those who prioritize how ethical a company is, this is a good sign. The company gives direct donations and company-supported volunteer hours to local and national charities.
- They have a history of closing on time, so you don’t have to worry about deadlines not being met. One of the common complaints in the mortgage industry is failing to close on schedule.
- You will receive a free Guild Mortgage online account when you obtain a loan from them. With your online account, you can check your loan’s most recent status, download monthly statements, and make online payments.
- They offer options for those who fall into financial hardship after obtaining a loan.
- Some loans at Guild Mortgage have discount points, giving you the chance to decrease the interest rate.
- You are charged $3.50 if you pay through Speedpay.
- The company charges fees for insufficient funds and late payments.
- For those who don’t want to say why they were late on a payment, they won’t like that Guild Mortgage asks for a reason why a payment was late.
Guild Mortgage Customer Service Review
Many customers of Guild Mortgage have been pleased with how fast refinancing a loan at the company is. On Yelp, Denise H. wrote in her review of this mortgage company
Trevor Nissen, and his team in Eugene, Oregon GET THE JOB DONE! This was the fastest, easiest loan we’ve ever experienced!
Customers also praised the company for closing on time, even with short deadlines. Lisa S. stated in her Yelp review of Guild Mortgage
Andy at Guild made the loan process smooth and helped us to make a short closing deadline. Thank you! Would definitely recommend.
- Phone Number: If you’re interested in obtaining a home loan or refinancing, you can call Guild Mortgage at 1-800-283-8823. Existing customers who need to contact the company, should call 1-800-365-4441.
- Webpage: guildmortgage.com.
- Email: You can send an email to email@example.com if you’re interested in obtaining a home loan or refinancing.
- Social Media: Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube.
Guild Mortgage is a great independent mortgage company to do business with because they show genuine caring for their customers. They are also punctual, fast, and willing to work out solutions for those going through financial hardship. The company offers a wide variety of loans and assists you with securing the one that’s right for your situation.
Are you still considering Guild Mortgage for a loan? Share your thoughts in the comments below. If you have ever secured a mortgage from Guild Mortgage, let us know what your experience was like.